[Glass] GemStone's #on:do: could be cull: instead of value: ?

Richard Sargent richard.sargent at gemtalksystems.com
Tue Jan 21 14:15:41 PST 2014

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Martin McClure <
martin.mcclure at gemtalksystems.com> wrote:

> ANSI does say that the argument to the do: is a monadic block. I don't
> think it would actually violate ANSI, though, for a Smalltalk
> implementation to also allow a niladic block there.

It is true that a conforming implementation is free to do more than what
ANSI mandates, so making the argument optional should be acceptable.

However, it does mean your code that uses a niladic Block will NOT be ANSI
compliant, reducing its portability. (And that is exactly what you found
with the Pharo code.)