[Glass] Ways to auto start Seaside gems upon stone startup

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 10:47:21 PST 2014

Hi guys,

I am using the tools from Norbert Halt to create stones. He makes an easy V
script that you can put in /etc/init.d and then make it autostart/stop
during OS start/stop. But that script simply start/stops the stone. I want
my seaside gems to also be started.

I wonder what you do to auto start seaside gems after stone has started.

1) I saw SystemLoginNotification but I need to register a class. I would
like to simply add a piece of code (that start seaside gems) and not a
class.

2) I saw UserProfile>>loginHook:. But I don't understand how this or the
previous one could help. Why? Because at OS startup I would only start the
stone.. no user would be logged in. And if I would need to manually log in
...then I am in the same situation.

3) Modify the V script and also run the code to start my gems. I don't like
this because I may want to only start the stone at some point.

4) Add ANOTHER V script that starts seaside gems... and make sure this one
is executed AFTER the script to start stone

5) Write monit scripts which I wanted anyway and reuse the fact that monit
would start upon system startup and would start gems because they are down
;)

I guess my best option is the last one right? or am I missing other
alternatives?

Thanks,