[Glass] tODE pre-alpha release is finally ready!

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Thu Jul 10 12:53:31 PDT 2014

Okay,

I've created the new Pharo one-clicks with the latest tODE client code
pre-loaded, reviewed the "Getting Started with TODE"[1] doc for glaring
errors and done minimal testing:

  - fresh install of tODE into a fresh extent0.seaside.dbf extent for
GemStone 3.10.6
  - launching a Zinc seaside gem using a tODE script:
      ./webServer --register=zinc --port=8383 --start

So we're ready to rhumba...

So to repeat my message from the "tODE is almost ready post"[2] :

  - If you are working with a Linux or Mac client and are currently using
git/github with GLASS
  - or, you are experiencing pain using GemTools and GLASS

then you are invited to start using tODE.

The "Getting Started with TODE"[1] document is the place to start. Once
you've installed tODE in a fresh extent use the `man --all` command to
learn about the various commands available in tODE (click on a command to
view the man page for the command). The `project list` is then your main
entry point for working with the projects that are loaded in your image...

I don't have any good excuses for saying NO to anyone else wanting to use
tODE, but I would prefer that folks hold off just a bit longer until I can
get some better "What to do with tODE now that I've installed it
documentation" and to get Seaside3 and Zinc configurations in a bit better
shape for GemStone.

In the last couple of weeks Johan and I have been working together to get
Zinc 2.4.3 ported to GemStone 2.4 and 3.x to work with Seaside3.1 and we're
achingly close to being done, but there are a couple of things done that
just aren't in place yet.

If you do start using tODE let's use the tODE mailing list[3] for comments
and discussions about tODE. Once tODE is available for general use, we'll
migrate the discussions back to this list ...

If you do decide to start using tODE please drop me a line (private email
is fine) and let me know so that I can get a feel for the impact that any
code/feature changes may have as we move forward to the full alpha[4]
release and beyond.

Dale

[1]
https://github.com/glassdb/webEditionHome/blob/master/docs/install/gettingStartedWithTode.md#getting-started-with-tode