[Glass] Notes on working with Github

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Thu Jul 31 16:50:25 PDT 2014

As folks begin using GsDevKit[1], it becomes important for folks to be able
to keep up to date with the latest releases (along with tODE[2], glass[3],
and metacello[6]).

With git/github, the projects tend to be in continuous release mode. I do
development on a topic branch and when the travis-ci[5] build is green and
I am "done" I merge the work into the master branch ... Moving forward I
don't plan on sending mail to this list every time that I merge to master,
so the question is how do you know what is happening?

For GsDevKit and tODE I recommend that you start "watching" the
repositories[7]. You will receive email when a commit is made to the
repository or issues are submitted. When an email announces a merge to
master, you should consider updating ... especially if you've seen email
addressing problems you are seeing go by ...

For updating tODE, you only need to use the 'load' menu item in the
`project list` and tODE will be reloaded and you will pick up the new
version. To update your pharo client image(s) to use the latest tODE, run
the updateTodeImage[9] shell script.

For GsDevKit, it's a bit more complicated because you have forked the
repository. Fortunately you can use a GitHub pull request to pull from
 GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome to your fork. If you're not familiar with the
procedure, here's a little writeup on doing a "reverse pull request"[8].

Once you've updated the master branch of your fork, you can use the same
technique to merge the master branch into your working branch. Then on your
local machine, you will do a `git pull origin <your branch>`. Then you can
run the updateTodeImage[9] shell script to update your pharo clients.

Hope this helps,

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome
[2] https://github.com/dalehenrich/tode