[Glass] Metacello ... is there something easy with it ?

Richard Sargent richard.sargent at gemtalksystems.com
Fri Jun 6 14:16:40 PDT 2014

marten wrote
> now entering the field of Metacello it seems, that somehow it's getting
> into a dark side of Smalltalk - and I am used to ENVY for more than 10
> years !
> I actually would like to see Monticello/Metacello working before GLASS
> goes to github and there even more stuff is not working.

Hi Marten,

I have worked with ENVY since 1994. I understand your pain.

Until recently, I considered ENVY to be the best version control system I
had ever seen (bearing in mind the limitations on supported artefacts). But
I have to say that I think Git now is superior in most respects. I can live
without every edit to every method as a separate artefact. And I could make
Git do that, if I wanted to bother.

I have watched Dale's development of tODE over the last year and a half, and
I can say that I am really excited by what I see. And, it's almost here!
Learning from Dale, I understand how much Git and GitHub will simplify
things for us in terms of sharing, versionning, and keeping track of
everything. tODE and Git is going to be an amazing improvement.

Montecello and Metacello work, for what they were designed to do. Since they
only address a subset of our real requirements, there are "challenges" when
using them. The sooner we can move to tools better designed to meet our
requirements, the better off we will be.

One thing you might try is to say what version of GS you have and ask the
people on this list what configuration they have that works for that
version. Perhaps there is someone who has already gone through all the
hassles you are seeing and have already solved the problems. And of course,
if there are specific tools beyond "GemStone" and "Seaside" you want to use,
cite them in your request.

Good luck!
Richard