[Glass] Happy Fathers Day ... yeah right:)

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Sun Jun 15 11:25:39 PDT 2014

It turns out that VMware decide to turn off the forwarding of
seaside.gemstone.com last night so any links that used that url will break
after a bit of a timeout ...

The nasty bit is that we have a fair number of urls embedded in
configurations all over the Metacello universe that reference
seaside.gemstone.com ...

The good news is that if the url is replaced by seaside.gemtalksystems.com
order will be restored ....

So if you run into a "broken configuration" first check to see if
seaside.gemstone.com is involved and edit the configuration to change the
url to seaside.gemtalksystems.com.

It appears that ss3.gemstone.com is still being forwarded, but it is
anybody's guess as to when that might change ...

The nastiest bit will be those configurations that are being accessed from
SqueakSource, since SqueakSource is no longer writable... We'll have to
deal with those on a case by case basis.

I noticed the problem when some of my tode tests started failing on
travis-ci[1] so I will begin following those threads and see where they
lead ...

I would appreciate help in clearing up the issues, but frankly this is a
good time to take inventory of the projects that are still being used and
are hosted on SqueakSource and/or GemSource ... the first order is to fix
the url so that work can resume, the second order is to consider moving the
repository to glassdb on github .... so to help with that effort please
send mail to this list when you discover old references to projects ... we
only need to know which project is involved.

I am planning to spend the afternoon and evening with my son (it _is_
Father's Day) so I won't be able to make much progress this morning...

If you need an immediate workaround, you should be able to pre-load the
offending configuration into your image and edit it in place (and leave it
dirty) then when it is referenced by a load script the dirty copy will not
be overwritten and the new url will be used ...

The code on travis-ci is doing something like:

  ConfigurationOfGLASS project updateProject.

This method uses the first repository in the repository group for the
package containing the configuration, so it may be necessary to remove the
seaside.gemstone.com/ss repository from the group to get that expression to
work again.

It does not appear that ss3.gemstone.com has been turned off, but it is
probably on a list somewhere ...

Sorry for the inconvenience, but when I thought about this last year the
only practical solution would have been to turn off the forwarding and see
what breaks...

If this issue is causing unbearable pain, I can try contacting VMware and
ask them to restore the port forwarding for  a period of time, but that
would only delay the inevitable...

Dale

[1] https://travis-ci.org/dalehenrich/tode