[Glass] Problem loading Magritte3 / Seaside3 in GemSone

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Fri May 2 16:31:11 PDT 2014

Welllll, if you use the following expression to do the load:

  Metacello new
          configuration: 'MyApp';
          version: '0.1';
          load: #('Magritte' 'Seaside')

everything loads without error.....

The issue is that there _ARE_ differences in load behavior between:

  ((Smalltalk at: #'ConfigurationOfMyApp') project version: '0.1')
          load: #('Magritte' 'Seaside')

and

  Metacello new
          configuration: 'MyApp';
          version: '0.1';
          load: #('Magritte' 'Seaside')

The former form uses the old semantics for configuration loads, namely with
regards to calculating a current version ... the current version
calculations results in non-deterministic loading behavior and I want to
strongly discourage the use of the old way of loading projects.

The latter form is deterministic and can be relied upon to be repeatable
and correct (and if not I will fix the problem).

The #import: statement is a new feature that is only properly supported
when using the new way of loading Metacello ....

With GLASS we need to standardize on using `Metacello new` to do loads.

Pharo3.0 has support for using `Metacello new` loaded into the base image,
so I don't see any reasons for not being able to standardize...

Dale