[Glass] Garbage Collection , maintenance gem and typical seaside app

Otto Behrens otto at finworks.biz
Thu May 8 09:08:41 PDT 2014

> GLASS comes with nice seaside scripts to start/stop gems and also a
> maintenance gem which calls WAGemStoneMaintenanceTask. This class, from what
> I can see, it does seaside session expiration and MFC. So....second
> question... if I have this VM running...then I wouldn't need to explicitly
> run a MFC as part of a cron job, right?
>

> Right.

Sorry, I lied. The default maintenance30 implementation does an MFC
every hour. We disabled that in our apps and switched the epoch GC on.
I think the MFC is *extremely* heavyweight and will influence your
application when it runs on a DB with some data. I can't really give a
measure of how much "some" is, in other words when the DB is small
enough where the MGC will not influence it that much.

I understand that the purpose of the epoch GC is to be a process that
runs in the background with loads of fancy parameters to throttle it.
A seaside app in my understanding is an ideal candidate app for the
epoch GC. We bypassed WAGemStoneMaintenanceTask >>
maintenanceTaskMarkForCollect such a long time ago that I forgot about
it. To me, it does not make sense to implement that complexity in
maintenanceTaskMarkForCollect if there is a much more sophisticated
and efficient tool around (epoch GC).