[Glass] out of resources

Otto Behrens otto at finworks.biz
Thu May 8 09:27:15 PDT 2014

> Another thing to consider is that if you are running on linux and get low on
> swap space, linux will start killing off processes ... in recent versions of
> 3.x we have made the necessary system calls so that the os won't kill the
> important gemstone processes, but I'm not exactly sure what version these
> calls were put in ... if you look in the system logs, there should be
> messages listing the pids that have been killed ...

This may well be the issue. We've had a run in with the OOM killer
because we're over committing memory on the VM's. We're busy fixing
that. But I could not find a log on the VM that tells me something
yet. We've only seen the VM host kill the VM so far.

We're getting

Write to /proc/349/oom_score_adj failed with EACCES , linux user does
not have CAP_SYS_RESOURCE
No server process protection from OOM killer

in the pcmon and pagemanager logs. I think this happens once the
resources are unavailable.