[Glass] Awfully slow GRUtf8CodecStream

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Oct 15 12:19:25 PDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 12:10 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <
marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 3:27 PM, Dale Henrichs <
> dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com> wrote:
>
>> Mariano,
>>
>> It looks like you've hit a known problem[1] and I just  haven't gotten
>> around to installing the bugfix in Grease...
>>

> Thanks Dale, I wasn't aware.
>

>> There is a useful discussion about this in the Seaside31 issue #21[2] and
>> for 3.2.2 we added a primitive, but I have yet to add the primitive call to
>> the Grease base[3].
>>

> If by chance there is a future 3.1.0.7 is there a chance to have such
> primitive integrated?

It's not likely that there will be a 3.1.0.7 and if it does get released it
will likely be limited to fix a critical production problem.

>> The patches are in Smalltalk, so if you'd apply the patches and let me
>> know if they address your issue or not that'd be great.
>>

> I have just tried: https://github.com/GsDevKit/Grease/issues/2
> Wow....I have just tried that, and in my case, it produced a performance
> improvement of 4x. My table rendering decreased from 4s to 1s approx.
> Then I tried adding some none ascii characters like:
>
> An preost wes on leoden, Laȝamon was ihoten
> He wes Leovenaðes sone -- liðe him be Drihten.
> He wonede at Ernleȝe at æðelen are chirechen,
> Uppen Sevarne staþe, sel þar him þuhte,
> Onfest Radestone, þer he bock radde.
>
> and they were correctly displayed. So I guess it is working correctly
> (else I don't know what easy other stuff to test).

I'm glad to see that you're getting an acceptable improvement ... I just
have to make the time to integrate the fix ...