[Glass] [ANN] GsUpgrader

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Tue Sep 16 10:17:48 PDT 2014

With the move of more and more GsDevKit projects to github, the process of
upgrading to the proper version of GLASS and Metacello has gotten fairly
complicated:

  - Upgrade to GLASS1.0-beta.9.3 (unless you have already upgrading to
GLASS1)
  - Upgrade to the latest version of Metacello (load preview unless you
have already loaded a baseline)
  - Upgrade to the latest version of GLASS1

I am also still adding features and bugfixes to Metacello to improve the
support of git/github projects, and unfortunately it is not always possible
to use Metacello to install an upgrade of Metacello itself.

I created the gsUpgrader[1] project to simplify the upgrade process for the
github-based projects. GsUpgrader is a single class with four entry points:

  - upgradeGLASS[3]
  - upgradeGLASS1[4]
  - upgradeGrease[5]
  - upgradeMetacello[6]

A fifth entry point: #metacelloReport produces a project/package version
report that is useful to help debug upgrade issues ... I've tested
GsUpgrader in a number of scenarios[7], but there always seem to be special
cases that sneak through the cracks.

The class is loaded from a package using the following expression:

  Gofer new
    package: 'GsUpgrader-Core';
    url: 'http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss/gsUpgrader';
    load.

A simple package is used so that the GsUpgrader class can be used to
upgrade GemStone installations as old as GemStone 2.4.4.1[2] (the first
GemStone version that officially supported GLASS).

I will start updating the installation instructions for the various
github-based projects to use GsUpgrader.

I would recommend that all of you use GsUpgrader to upgrade to the latest
version of Metacello using the following expression:

  Gofer new
    package: 'GsUpgrader-Core';
    url: 'http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss/gsUpgrader';
    load.
  (Smalltalk at: #GsUpgrader) upgradeMetacello.

Having an up-to-date version of Metacello is probably the most important
thing at this juncture and it is always a good idea to upgrade Metacello
before upgading any other github-based projects.

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsUpgrader#gsupgrader-
[2]
http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2010/07/15/gemstones-64-version-2-4-4-1-is-shipping/