[Glass] Need to restart GLASS...

Lawrence Kellogg via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Tue Sep 16 11:17:36 PDT 2014

On Sep 16, 2014, at 12:35 PM, Richard Sargent via Glass <glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com> wrote:

> Dale wrote
>> Typically I use `ssh -X` (port forwarding) to connect to the remote
>> machine
>> ... then starting squeak on the remote machine will display locally ...
>
> And if you connect via Putty, for example, make sure the connection enables
> port forwarding. In Putty, this is found in the Connection/SSH/X11 part of
> the configuration tree.

Ok, some progress, I got the Pharo image to come up through X11. Thanks to John McIntosh for suggesting that I needed to set the port forwarding for X11Forwarding and AllowTcpForwarding in /etc/ssh/sshd_config on my Amazon instance. Not sure why I never ran into this in the past. X11Forwarding was yes but AllowTcpForwarding was no.

I’m still stuck though, for some reason the nginx through FastCGI chain is not quite working. Do I need to reinitialize my login task?

I tried this:

	| application |
	application := (WAAdmin register: self asApplicationAt: 'PracticeJournalLoginTask') exceptionHandler: WAGemStoneProductionErrorHandler.
	WAAdmin defaultDispatcher defaultName: 'PracticeJournalLoginTask'.
	application preferenceAt: #sessionClass put: PracticeJournalSession

but it didn’t make any difference.

How does the system know to go to my login task? Is there something I need to put in my A record on Register.com? Boy, I used to know this stuff but I have forgotten.

I’m only running one FastCGI process, on port 9001. That never seemed to bother things before.. I see the Topaz script running when I do a ps -ef.

> p.s.
> We really need to do something about the stability of GemStone, so that
> people can exercise restart scenarios more often. With multiple years going
> by between restarts, it is just too difficult to remember all the details!

Yes, two years is a long time, Gemstone is just too reliable. Please crash it randomly every week so that I remember how to pick it back up. ;-)

I should have captured a screen movie of one of my restarts. I wrote down notes but must have left out some of the obvious details!

Larry