[Glass] problem with stone log and permissions :(

Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Sep 17 21:32:49 PDT 2014

Hi guys,

I am trying to be a bit more strict in file permissions for my stones. When
I now try to start a stone, I get this error:

startstone[Info]: GemStone version '3.1.0.6'
startstone[Info]: Starting Stone repository monitor 'debrisTesting2'.
startstone[Info]: GEMSTONE is: '/opt/gemstone/product'.
startstone[Info]: GEMSTONE_NRS_ALL is:
'#dir:/somePath/data#log:/somePath/log/%N%P.log'.
startstone[Info]:
    GEMSTONE_SYS_CONF=/somePath/etc/system.conf
    GEMSTONE_EXE_CONF=/somePath/etc/gem.conf
|              ERROR:  chdir(/home/marianopeck/) failure:
  |
|       System Error:  errno=13,EACCES, Authorization failure (permission
denied)
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

startstone[Error]: Stone process (id=25917) has died.
startstone[Error]: Could not show end of log file '/somePath/log/log.txt'
because: errno=2,ENOENT, The file or directory specified cannot be found

So it looks like it cannot create '/somePath/log/log.txt'.

The stone is launched this way as part of a larger script.

  su  $RUNASUSER -c '$GEMSTONE_INSTALLATION/bin/startstone -z
$GEMSTONE_SYS_CONF -l $APPLICATION_LOG_DIR/log.txt $APPLICATION_NAME >
$GEMSTONE_LOGDIR/startup.log 2>&1'

And then that script is invoked with sudo from my username marianopeck..

What I don't understand is why it cannot create the log and why it does a
"  chdir(/home/marianopeck/) "

Finally...if from comand line I do:

sudo su $RUNASUSER -c " touch '/somePath/log/log.txt' "

I can create it with no problem.

Any idea what could be happening?

Thanks