[Glass] extent0.dbf grows

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Aug 5 13:41:45 PDT 2015

On 07/31/2015 08:58 AM, Trussardi Dario Romano via Glass wrote:

> James,
>

>>> On Jul 31, 2015, at 3:37 AM, Trussardi Dario Romano via Glass
>>> <glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
>>> <mailto:glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ciao,
>>>
>>> i have a deployment system based on GemStone version '3.1.0.6'
>>>

>>> Now i use Gemtools and todeClient to do some works on the
>>> repository:  update code,  save repository .....
>>>

>>> When i login with the tools  i note the repository
>>> grows significantly, and also,the relative  full backups
>>> grows significantly.
>>>
>>> To reset the system i need to clear the Object Log with the relative
>>> clear command  ( ol clearin tode )
>>
>> Do you think that the Object Log grows significantly during your time
>> logged in with the tools? What is its size at the beginning and end
>> of your session?
>
> I don't have real data about the extent0.dbf change size from
> beginning and end of a gemtools session.
>
> But the full backup size  before Object Log  clear is : 4 258 529280
>
> after Object Log clear is:1 376 124 928
>
> The SystemRepository freeSpace size before Object Log clear is : 1 092
> 419 584
>
> after Object Log clear ( and one hour  of system background works )
>  is:  5 267 701 760

Okay as James has mentioned, it definitely looks like the Object Log is
the source of the "excess data" ... it would be interesting to
understand what is in the object log ... My guess would be that you are
having recurring errors and the continuations created to record those
errors can easily cause a bunch of data to be stored in your extent ...
if the errors are providing useful data, than this can be viewed as a
"cost of doing business" and you will just need to have a regularly
scheduled task for clearing the object log ... you could arrange to
regularly clear continuation entries from the object log that are more
than a day or week or ? old then at least you would expect to reach a
steady state for extent size ... then you would only need to consider
shrinking the size of the extent when you had an anomaly where a series
of unexpected errors cropped up ....

As Mariano and James point out, there are other possible sources of
extent growth that are related to a commit record backlog because you
have a GemTools/tODE/topaz session open (and idle) on a production
system that is "busy committing" ... commit record backlog data is
transient data that is stored in the extent and will cause the extent to
grow, but once the session or sessions causing the commit record backlog
log out commit or abort, the transient data is no longer needed by the
system and will "magically turn into free space" at checkpoint
boundaries ....

The key point here is that object log data is persistent "user data" and
will not turn into free space until 1) you break the link to the
persistent root (object log clear) and 2) you run an MFC. Commit record
backlog data "system data" and will turn into free space as soon as the
sessions abort/commit/logout and a checkpoint is hit, i.e., no MFC is
needed ... The default checkpoint interval is 5 minutes I think ...