[Glass] (Not Yet) Getting Started With GLASS

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Aug 5 17:20:44 PDT 2015

On 08/05/2015 04:00 PM, Sean P. DeNigris via Glass wrote:
> GLASS mailing list wrote
>> Since you are just getting started with GsDevKit and tODE, perhaps you'd
>> be interested in taking the "soon to be released" version of
>> gsDevKitHome?
> Sure! I'm exploring GS for some projects I have in mind, but nothing is
> starting *today*, so I'd be happy to help and also to learn whatever the
> cutting edge is. BTW can I contribute to GS (e.g. porting new Pharo code)
> and if so what's the process?

Excellent! Currently the tODE client is known to work in Pharo3.0 and
Pharo4.0 and it would help to get it working in Pharo5.0 ...

To contribute, just fork gsDevKitHome (which you've already done) and
then fork the tODE project.

Presumably you already have a local gsDevKitHome checkout so you'll want
to stop the running those stones using $GS_HOME/bin/stopStone and then
simply delete the local clone directory (`chmod -R +w
$GS_HOME/gemstone/products/*` is needed before deleting the whole clone
directory). It's easier to go this route, because you need to create
fresh stone directories and fresh tode client images anyway ...

Then follow the dev bootstrap instructions[1] - the bootstrap assumes
that you've cloned your own version of tODE ....

Like I said, I feel that the basic functionality is pretty sound, but
the documentation needs work ... Lisa has been working on making changed
to the gsDevKitHome docs[2] and I plan to merge her changes shortly, so
I suggest you follow the latest version of the dev branch README[3] ...

The tODE docs are sparse, but I hope that the tODE system menu[4] will
make getting started a bit easier... `man --all` and `project list` are
your friends to get started ...

There is a section of featured projects[5] that should give you a feel
for the types of things that you can do in support of your own projects:
bash shell scripts for creating custom stones for your project as well
as setting up a custom tODE environment ...

I have a set of travis tests for everything[6], but I haven't run the
tests recently ... so if something breaks let me know and I will
prioritize fixes for you guys (Craig I see that you are interested and I
welcome you to take it for a spin)....

Dale

[1]
https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome/blob/dev/projects/roassal/devBootstrap.md