[Glass] Weird problem with class instance variable

Richard Sargent via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Tue Aug 25 13:39:17 PDT 2015

GLASS mailing list wrote
> Hi guys,
>
> I define a classInstVars: called 'Instances' to keep track of new
> persistent instances in my class FaBackgroundProcess. Of course, I
> implement #new to add those there.
>
> But I am having a very strange issue now. I have this accessor:
>
> FaBackgroundProccess class >> instances
> ^ Instances ifNil: [ Instances := OrderedCollection new ]
> If I execute:
>
> FaBackgroundProcess instances ->>>>>  anOrderedCollection( )
>
> I get an empty collection (which is what I expect). However, if I inspect
> the class FaBackgroundProcess and see the slot for 'Instances' I see lots
> of instances of FaBackgroundProcess! (when I expect to see same as the
> answer of #instances, that is, empty) And those instances are really alive
> as they prevent GC of other objects.
>
> So...what is going on????  I attach an screenshot with all the pieces. Any
> help is really welcome since I am lost.

Mariano, one possibility comes to mind. I'm not sure how you could have
created the scenario, but it may be worth checking. See if you have a global
definition of Instances somewhere other than the class variable. If the
method was compiled with a reference to an association in UserGlobals, for
example, you might be playing with two different associations. Browse the
reference paths to the two collections.