[Glass] Zinc Server and Backlog Situation

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Sun Aug 30 16:38:00 PDT 2015

Marten,

How are you calling the ZincServer ... if you are using one of the
startup scripts provided with GLASS, you will see the following pattern:

System transactionMode: #manualBegin.

Exception
   installStaticException:
     [:ex :cat :num :args |
       "Run the abort in a lowPriority process, since we must acquire the
        transactionMutex."
       [
         GRPlatform current transactionMutex
           critical: [
             GRPlatform current doAbortTransaction ].
         System enableSignaledAbortError.
       ] forkAt: Processor lowestPriority.
     ]
   category: GemStoneError
   number: 6009
   subtype: nil.
System enableSignaledAbortError.
"This thread is needed to handle the SigAbort exception, when the primary
  thread is blocked on an accept. Assuming default 60 second
  STN_GEM_ABORT_TIMEOUT, wake up at 30 second intervals."
[
   [ true ] whileTrue: [ (Delay forSeconds: 30) wait ].
] forkAt: Processor lowestPriority.

and this code is intended to avoid a CR backlog in a gem that is idle
and waiting on a socket ....

Dale