[Glass] Queries in Gemstone ...

itlists@schrievkrom.de via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Mon Feb 9 00:27:27 PST 2015

Dale,

yes indeed it was more an indirect feature request :-).

With my REST system here I have nearly always this problem and it would
be nicer to create a (regardless of syntax) query and let the system do
the work. That would speed up the initial development time very well.

Actually in so many data-query-requests it ends up coding Smalltalk code
which actually do something like:

-> get request

-> code Smalltalk based on this request to do something like

select x from y
  [ where ...... ]
  [
    ordered by x.q
    [ limit n  ]
    [ offset m ]
  ]

-> serialize the result via json

-> answer request

At least these dammned paged request (limit and offset: typically
supported by all UI browser frameworks) are candidates for expensive
statements.

And yes: manual coding would give better results ... and yes I have to
think for myself to produce better code when having limit and offset
options.

I just wanted to say, what pattern I find very frequently when writing
here REST oriented systems.

Marten

--
Marten Feldtmann