[Glass] Monit scripts for gemstone?

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Thu Feb 19 14:16:34 PST 2015

On 2/19/15 1:36 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 5:05 PM, Johan Brichau <johan at yesplan.be
> <mailto:johan at yesplan.be>> wrote:
>
>     If you want to allow longer requests, then make sure to set the
>     timeout longer.
>     GLASS is made to process only a single seaside request at a time
>     and thus a request will get blocked until the previous one was
>     processed. That includes the monit request.
>     So, what you say is correct: if a gem is busy processing requests,
>     it will not answer to monit.
>

> mmmmm are we 100% sure about this? I mean...at which level is the
> "lock" inside the gem to block requests? I thought it was at kind of
> at seaside session level. If monit request is a plain fast cgi request
> (outside seaside context) maybe the gem CAN answer because the lock
> happens further?
> Let me CC Dale just in case ;)

Depending upon how deep the monit request goes into the request handling
stack for FastCGI, yes.

There is a session lock that is applied once we've processed enough of
the request to know what session we're dealing with. I think if the
session is already locked we kick out and retry the http request (don't
recall exactly).

Then down the stack a ways in
GRGemStonePlatform>>seasideProcessRequestWithRetry:resultBlock: we
acquire a transaction mutex, and this is where we ensure that only one
request is processed at a time (inside the transaction). If monit makes
it this far, then it will wait for the transaction mutex to be released ...

For FastCGI, there is a gateway semaphore that only lets 10 concurrent
threads to be forked for queuing up on the transaction mutex ... I found
in testing that under high enough loads, the gem would blow up with an
out of memory that was caused by too many threads sitting idle waiting
for the transaction mutex ...

So monit could be blocking here, if there a number of outstanding
requests ... of course there isn't much difference between waiting on
the gateway semaphore and blocking on the transaction mutex ...