[Glass] ScanBackup vs #profileRepository

Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Sun Jul 12 15:33:01 PDT 2015

Hi guys,

I was using ScanBackup (James utility I got from SS3) and then I also found
"GsObjectInventory profileRepository byteCountReportDownTo: 1000" which
comes directly with GemStone. So I was wondering the differences and
advantages/disadvantages of each.

I guess ScanBackup may have a less impact if the system is running as the
IO reads are done in a separate file than the extent. But I had to subclass
it in order to change the 200 threshold. Sometimes I want to get more items
than 200 not because they have little amount of instances, but maybe
because even a few of them would indicate a memory leaking. So if those
classes I always want to check are not in the 200 then i would have to pay
a new #allInstances for each...

Also..ScanBackup does not show me the "bytes" column that
#profileRepository shows.

So.. #profileRepository shows me the "bytes" too, I can set until how much
to show, but it may have a bigger impact in the system?

Thanks in advance,