[Glass] Backup procedure

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Mon Jun 8 12:27:18 PDT 2015

Yeah, the support code surrounding GEM_TEMPOBJ_POMGEN_PRUNE_ON_VOTE has
evolved over time ...

Back in 2.4.x when the original problem with seaside gems was
discovered, I think that there might have been a few bugs in the
implementation of GEM_TEMPOBJ_POMGEN_PRUNE_ON_VOTE that lead to the
initial recommendation of cycling gems (that way you get 100%
GEM_TEMPOBJ_POMGEN_PRUNE_ON_VOTE). Also the max value of
GEM_TEMPOBJ_POMGEN_PRUNE_ON_VOTE was limited to 90%, so there was quite
a bit of room for some references to be kepts around. Here's the comment
about GEM_TEMPOBJ_POMGEN_PRUNE_ON_VOTE from the 2.4.4.1
$GEMSTONE/data/system.conf file:

#=========================================================================
# GEM_TEMPOBJ_POMGEN_PRUNE_ON_VOTE: Percent of pom generation area
#   to be thrown away when voting on possible dead objects.
#   Only subspaces of pom generation older than 5 minutes are thrown away.
#   The most recently used subspace is never thrown away.
#
# If this value is not specified, or the specified value is out of range,
# the default is used.
#
# Runtime equivalent: #GemPomGenPruneOnVote
# Default: 50
#    min: 0  max: 90
# GEM_TEMPOBJ_POMGEN_PRUNE_ON_VOTE = 50;

Overtime the implementation has been changed to the point where you are
allowed to specify a GEM_TEMPOBJ_POMGEN_PRUNE_ON_VOTE of 100% so  the
need to cycle gems can be completely eliminated. Here's the comment from
the $GEMSTONE/data/system.conf file for 2.4.6 (3.3 is identical):

#=========================================================================
# GEM_TEMPOBJ_POMGEN_PRUNE_ON_VOTE: Percent of pom generation area
#   to be cleared when voting on possible dead objects.
#   If value is > 0 and < 100, subspaces of pom generation older
#   than 5 minutes are cleared; the number of subspaces cleared is
#   the specified percentage of spaces in use rounded down to an
#   integral number of spaces.
#   If value == 100, all subspaces of pom generation are cleared without
#   regard to their age.
#
# If this value is not specified, or the specified value is out of range,
# the default is used.
#
# Runtime equivalent: #GemPomGenPruneOnVote
# Default: 50
#    min: 0  max: 100
# GEM_TEMPOBJ_POMGEN_PRUNE_ON_VOTE = 50;

So for the semantics that applies to your version take a look at the
$GEMSTONE/data/system.conf in your product tree ...

With regards to GemTools, tODE and topaz, Johan is correct you don't
want to stay logged into a production system for very long or you may
will see excessive extent growth ... the stone has to keep around ALL of
the meta data (Commit Record Backlog) for all of the commits between you
last abort and the current transaction ... for systems with high commit
rates the commit record backlog can climb pretty quickly ...

Dale