[Glass] Some more easy stats printing or production tools?

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Tue Jun 9 10:30:06 PDT 2015

All,

One of the basic idea of tODE is to provide a smalltalk level api things
that would be callable from a number of different applications, while
sharing the same basic algorithms. The descriptionOfSessions: call below
is a case in point, since the GemStone API returns at array, different
users of the array may decide to use different strings. For the tODE
command, I made up short labels based on the sentence describing each
field in the array, but assuming I've picked good names (not always a
good assumption:) all GsDevKit users should be presented with a common
set of names for the session description. If you were to call the tODE
command API, then that goal would be achieved ...

tODE is much more than just a development GUI ...

This Smalltalk command api idea extends to doing Metacello loads,
manipulating packages, searching for methods, etc. So often useful
snippets of code gets buried off in workspaces or embedded in the gui
for a tool  (whether a Seaside tool or client Smalltalk tool) and each
user that comes along has to re-invent things from scratch ... so the
command api is intended to provide a common Smalltalk-level api for
sharing the fundamental algorithms upon which  GUI tools are built,
making it possible for multiple implementations of GUIs to share common
functionality as well as make the functionality easily accessible for
use in your own production management code ...

I know that it's on me to deliver tODE and I should be finished with my
3.3 commitments this week and will start on the documentation in earnest
as soon as I'm done with that to get tODE and GsDevKitHome 1.0.0 ready
for consumption ...

Dale