[Glass] GC on Gems only fired when temp space is over?

Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Fri Jun 19 14:28:23 PDT 2015

Hi guys,

I wanted to know if the following assumption is correct... Imagine I have a
stone/gems that I do not use frequently. There is 1 stone and 4 seaside
gems. I do understand that when local temp memory of a gem is running out
of space, a scavenge is done so that young objects can die, then move
survivors, maybe flash out to disk persistent objects not referenced
anymore etc etc.  Now.. imagine that I have a .. .700MB temp object space.
And since I have 4 gems, I may randomly use a different one for each
request (I have no session affinity).  So imagine that now my temp space
for my gems are all around 500MB. The memory is not yet filled and there is
yet some more space.

The question is...imagine I do not use this stone/gems for some time...a
couple of days. The question is...are these 500MB of memory retained by the
gems until I use it again and I run out of space? Isn't the scavenge run
every some time besides the "run on running out of memory that would
trigger a scavenge"?

What things could I do here to improve this scenario?

1) make temp space smaller..but that would impact when I DO use it
2) maybe use session affinity so that at least I fill up less gems? (if
there are little concurrent sessions)

thanks in advance?