[Glass] Why leave Admin GcGem and Reclaim GcGem running at all time?

Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Fri Jun 19 15:15:01 PDT 2015

  Hi guys,

I am reading the sys admin manual and it says:

   -

   We recommend that you leave the Admin GcGem running at all times,
   although this GcGem is required only following a markForCollection or
   markGcCandidatesFromFile:, or epoch garbage collection operation.
   (Subsequent sections of this chapter describe these operations in detail.)
   If the Admin GcGem is not running following one of these operations, the
   garbage collection process cannot complete, and garbage can build up in
   your system.
    -

   We recommend that you have at least one Reclaim GcGem running at all
   times, to reclaim shadow objects.

Why do you recommend running both at all time if they only happen to be
needed for MFC and #reclaimAll? (if I do not use epoch GC, of course)
In other words...what are the drawbacks if I only start/stop them as part
of my GC scripts?

Thanks in advance,