[Glass] Understanding temp memory used seaside gems and 'ps' output

Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Mon Jun 22 10:02:25 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 1:54 PM, Dale Henrichs via Glass <

> On 06/19/2015 01:22 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass wrote:
>
> Hi guys,
>
>  I run this command on my server $  ps -e -o pid,rss,comm= | sort -n -k 2
>
>  And processes used the most memory (are at the very end of the above
> script) are topaz processes:
>
>  26570 569256 topaz
> 26537 617288 topaz
>  2560 622048 topaz
>  2132 635224 gem
> 26603 669584 topaz
>  2564 726456 topaz
>  1865 731244 pgsvrmain
>  2563 786204 topaz
>  2895 939380 gem
>  2869 955488 pgsvrmain
>
>  Of course, those PIDs (2563, 2564 etc) are exactly those of my seaside
> gems.
> 786204 KB (pid 2563) is around 786.204MB.
>
>  $ ps -fea | grep 2563
>
>  myuser  2563     1  0 Jun15 ?        00:03:42
> /opt/gemstone/product/bin/topaz -l -e
> /opt/gemstone/product/seaside/etc/seaside30.conf -I
> /xxx/sites/yyy/gemstone/.topazini
>
>  Note that in /opt/gemstone/product/seaside/etc/seaside30.conf I define:
>
>  GEM_TEMPOBJ_CACHE_SIZE = 700000;
>
> *So.. first question is why process 2563 is showing more than 700MB (786MB
> in this case).*
>
> Well, the GEM_TEMPOBJ_CACHE_SIZE is not the sole factor in controlling the
> size of your process....there are a handful of other memory controls that
> drive memory consumption:
>
>   GEM_TEMPOBJ_MESPACE_SIZE
>   GEM_TEMPOBJ_OOPMAP_SIZE
>   GEM_TEMPOBJ_POMGEN_SIZE
>   GEM_TEMPOBJ_SCOPES_SIZE
>
> With the configuration parameters you can control the sizes of each of the
> memory regions, but by default these spaces are sized as a function of
> GEM_TEMPOBJ_CACHE_SIZE.
>

> Oh, thanks for such a detail. Very interesting.

>  Anyway...if I go and cycle over each of my seaside gems and I print the
> results of *"System _tempObjSpacePercentUsed" for each gem, I usually get
> between 5% and 20%*, which would mean between 35MB to 140MB. This is FAR
> from 786MB reported by PS.  So.... I am misunderstanding something?
>
> How big is your SPC ... I think that the active pages in the SPC get
> factored into the the memory consumption reported for gems ...

It is about 1GB for those stones.  But I think that you nailed "the active
pages in the SPC get factored into the the memory consumption reported for
gems" because I think the PS output and how linux works etc is not very
very accurate so it could be what you say.

>  yes...my OS is having little memory free and I am trying to see if I am
> not holding unnecessary memory...
>
>   I assume that you have allocated a generaout amount of swap space? With
> enough swap space, your system will continue running (slowly) if you end up
> consuming all of available memory ...

yes, I have plenty.

$ cat /proc/meminfo | grep Swap
SwapCached:         3632 kB
SwapTotal:      17039352 kB
SwapFree:       16996596 kB

And yes, the system continues to work, but I noticed some random "slow
pauses" in the app of around 15 to 30 seconds and when I check "free -m" I
notice I am full with memory, so that's why I start to analyze these things
a bit.

Thanks!