[Glass] GsFile atEnd answering nil rather than boolean

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Thu Mar 5 09:47:15 PST 2015

> On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 4:03 PM, Dale Henrichs via Glass
> <glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
> <mailto:glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com>> wrote:
>
>     Mariano,
>
>     This looks like a bug and I've created an issue for it[1]. I've
>     proposed a fix in the bug report ... I think it is correct for
>     3.1.0.6, but it will have to be validated for 2.4.x and 3.2.x ....
>

> Hi Dale,
>
> Thanks for opening the issue. After some more time and research, I
> think the reason why I may have received the nil was because my GsFile
> become persisted and probably flushed away by the VM causing the loss
> of the session state (GbsRtErrLostSessionState). But...I discovered
> that a lot later...so probably reporting the error when getting the
> nil at #atEnd makes sense as you put in the ticker and as James
> suggested.
>
> BTW...are GemStone issues now handled in GsDevKit issue tracker or you
> also use your internal bug tracker?

The open source GsDevKit issues are handled in the GsDevKit/GsDevKit
issue tracker on GitHub (each open source GitHub project project has
it's own issue tracker) ...

I will eventually move glassdb/glass to GsDevKit/GsDevKit, but that will
take a fair amount of work to pull off and I've got my hands full as it
is ...

Bugs against the base GemStone are handled by out internal bug tracker
... the internal bug tracker is not externally visible other than
through bugnotes. The internal tracker is only used for tracking changes
that need to be made to the base product ... In practice, it is possible
to patch Smalltalk bugs in the base by using code in GLASS/GsDevKit, so
internal bugs are usually only filed for those problems in the c-code ...

Anyone is free to submit pull requests against the open source projects
as that code is actually supposed to be maintained by the community ...
in practice it seems that everyone waits for me to fix bugs...