[Glass] SyntaxError: Invalid character '\u65533'

Johan Brichau via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Fri Mar 13 15:57:41 PDT 2015

Dale,

> Frankly, these types of problems are why I am advocating a move towards github and git ...
>
> If at the time that Dario started this project github was available and the GLASS, Seaside and Pier, etc. projects were managed by git, Dario would have cloned ALL of the external projects he was using and it would never have been necessary to try to invent the "magical Pier3.0/Seaside3.0 load expression" because all of the code would have been there unchanged by anyone else on disk and ready to load …

I noticed the package I published was never put into a ConfigurationOfZinc and I am a bit surprised because my own ConfigurationOfNextPlan just references Zinc 1.1, so either my memory is flawed (not improbable) or the history of the ConfigurationOfZinc was rewritten (not improbable either :) because I surely had that bugfix in our project.

Anyway… I agree with what you say but the real difficulty comes a while into a project when you need to upgrade the dependencies. A new Seaside, a new Zinc, a new GLASS… and they all might or might not work when upgrading just one of them. And you just might not want to upgrade all of them. imho, a ConfigurationOf is (or should be) declaring these things and the version wildcards you added to Metacello (in support of more semantic versioning) are a part of getting that puzzle right. I still have to battle with the version wildcards in a real project but I hope to do so soon. I’m sorry that thread just spun into the background for me but I think I will explore it in the context of Seaside, Zinc and GLASS1.

> Johan, I am very glad that you recognized the problem ... (so you were using Zinc 1.1 back then?:) and I am very glad that Dario is able to move forward (and go to bed:) ….

Yes, Zinc 1.1 was used in production but not as a server! I only used the ZnClient. And this was 2011… and I replaced it with the github-based Zinc project in 2012… :)
I’ve been using Zinc as a server in development with Seaside 3.1+ and Zinc 2.4.3 (from gsdevkit) only.

> I know that advocating the use of git and github is senseless without providing real support and I am hoping to be able to provide that support real soon now, if I don't get tangled in another web of projects competing for my time…

We are very grateful for what’s there already too. I just upgraded a GLASS1 image from last september to the latest version and it works nicely.
I think there’s just so many different options and possibilities to get to the same point: different Metacello loading scripts, different load error handlers (onConflict, onUpgrade, …), repository cloning, repository overriddes, …). I am using all of them in some place or another and I think I am still looking for the best practice in many cases.

But it’s getting late on this side of the ocean, so I will stop rambling on for now :)

Johan