[Glass] [GLASS] Seaside - growing extent - normal?

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Mar 25 09:58:23 PDT 2015

Lawrence,

Are you doing regular Mark for collects? Are you running the maintenance
vm along with you seaside servers?

Seaside produces persistent garbage (persistent session state that
eventually times out) when it processes requests so if you do not run
the maintenance vm the sessions are not expired and if you do not run
mfc regularly the expired sessions are not cleaned up ...

Another source of growth could be the Object Log ... (use
`ObjectLogEntry initalize` to efficiently reset the Object Log ... pay
attention to the mispelling ... thats another story). If you are getting
continuations saved to the object log, the stacks that are saved, can
hang onto a lot of session state, that even though expired will not be
garbage collected because of references from the continuation in the
object log keep it alive ...

The best way to shrink your extent (once we understand why it is
growing) is to do a backup and then restore into a virgin extent
($GEMSTONE/bin/extent0.seaside.dbf)...

Dale