[Glass] Error 4147 doing fullBackupCompressedTo:

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Thu May 28 11:39:53 PDT 2015

Mariano,

The standard location for the gemstone key file (shipped with product) is:

    $GEMSTONE/seaside/etc/gemstone.key

Here's the comment from the 3.1.0.6 release:

# GemStone version:         3.1.0.6, Thu Apr 17 16:12:14 2014
# Customer license:         Free GS/S Web Edition
# Host processor type:      Linux x86
# Customer permissions:
#    NO_SUNSET STONE GEM PGSVR NETLDI NO_GEMCOPY NO_GciTraversal
#    NO_RemoteSpc
# Stone Session limit:      10000 (max possible for executable)
# Repository size limit:    <unlimited>
# Repository object limit:  <unlimited>
# Shared cache size limit:  2048 MB
# CPU affinity:              limited to 2 CPUs
# Customer name:            GemStone Seaside Community

Here's a 3.2.6 key file (shipped with product) comment for comparison:

# GemStone version:         3.2.6, Fri Mar 20 15:37:57 2015
# Customer license:         Community Edition
# Host processor type:      Linux x86
# Customer permissions:
#    NO_SUNSET STONE GEM PGSVR NETLDI NO_GEMCOPY NO_GciTraversal
#    NO_RemoteSpc NO_GemConnect NO_GBJ
# Stone Session limit:      10
# Repository size limit:    10240 MB
# Repository object limit:  <unlimited>
# Shared cache size limit:  1024 MB
# CPU affinity:              limited to 2 CPUs
# Customer name:            GemStone Community

Remember that for 3.2 and beyond, you can upgrade your license to 2GB
SPC, 50GB repository, and 20 gem session limit for free by sending an
email to sales at gemtalksystems.com[1].

The session limit is the field from the license that caps the total
number of sessions ... frankly the formula for session consumption is
not easy to calculate, since a number of the multi-threaded commands
consume sessions as well as the "well known processes" ...

The session cap applies to the total number of sessions, so in your formula:

    (STN_MAX_SESSIONS + number of extents in repository + 3)

the license file cap applies to the total of the formula ...

I'm not sure where you got your formula (there might be several
different ones floating depending upon the release you are looking at),
but STN_MAX_SESSIONS is typically used for applying an
installation-based cap since the standard commercial licenses (including
the low cost licenses) do not cap the number of sessions in the key file....

The license file is a hard cap applied by the stone itself after
decoding the license file, so the default values of the various
configuration parameters are not physically changed based on the license
file limits ... so there can be a bit more confusion as well ...

Dale

[1] http://gemtalksystems.com/licensing/