[Glass] Questions about the new tODE

Jupiter Jones via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Thu Nov 26 01:18:21 PST 2015

Hi Dale,

I’m going through the process of installing GS on AWS for testing and tinkering with the install and monitoring scripts. It’s the first time I’ve had a chance to properly experience the new tODE directory layout.

I’ve documented my process below as I think there are some outdated links in the docs, but I thought I’d check with you first. I can help with cleaning up the docs once I’ve completed this setup and have a better understanding.

- should I be following the Seaside instructions in GsDevKit_seaside31 or in GsDevKit/Seaside31 (I’m guessing the former)

- for Magritte3, ServiceVM, Cryptography, etc. should I follow the http://gsdevkit.github.io/GsDevKit_home/
I’m guessing that these projects will also be migrated to the new format as time allows?

- I’m installing seaside into an existing GsDevKit (i.e. not using installSeasideServer). How should I mount the seaside project in tODE? mount "$GS_HOME/etc/GsDevKit_seaside3/tode /home seaside" ? Where is the preferred location to mount it?

- I noticed in the GsDevKit_home/bin/seasideCreateStone the line:
project entry --url=http://gsdevkit.github.io/GsDevKit_home/Seaside31.ston /sys/local/server/projects
…is that correct? Should the Seaside3.ston be in the GsDevKit_seaside31 repo? There is both a Seaside3.ston and a Seaside31.ston located there. They are identical.

That’s it for now - I appreciate any direction.

Cheers,

Jupiter

My experience so far…

Client and Server installation was flawless :)

Then came installing Seaside based on these instructions:
https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_seaside31/blob/master/docs/installation/loadSeasideProject.md

project install --url=http://gsdevkit.github.io/GsDevKit_home/Seaside3.ston
went well, however it didn’t leave me with anything in $GS_HOME/etc so the next command failed:

export PATH=$GS_HOME/etc/GsDevKit_seaside31/bin:$PATH
I followed the install command to: http://gsdevkit.github.io/GsDevKit_home/

And tried "project load Seaside3" which performed the installation in GS. I then made some additions the the project entry to load FastCGI and a couple of other things and loaded again. All good.

I followed the link on that page to the GsDevKit Project: https://github.com/GsDevKit/Seaside31
…however I figured that was out of date, and I should actually be looking at https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_seaside31

I followed the links to installation on GsDevKit_seaside31: https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_seaside31/blob/master/docs/installation/installSeasideServer.md
…and found another installation method that clones the project into $GS_HOME/etc (that solved that)

I’m guessing that the “project install” command above is no longer the way to install.

Then I decided to write this email before making too many mistakes.