[Glass] OK, the upgradeGemStone fight has started [readlink -f issue in OSX]

Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Thu Oct 8 13:07:35 PDT 2015

Hi Dale,

OK, I am giving a try to upgradeGemStone. I am first trying to make it work
in my local machine (OSX) before trying in server. So the first problem I
found is this:

   GsDevKit script: stoneNewExtent -n -s
/debris/Sites/mariano/gemstone/data/extent0.dbf quuveNew
=================
readlink: illegal option -- f
usage: readlink [-n] [file ...]

The culprit line seems to be:

s) snapshotFile=`readlink -f ${OPTARG}` ;;

And yeah, it seems -f has problem in OSX.

I found this link:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1055671/how-can-i-get-the-behavior-of-gnus-readlink-f-on-a-mac

A solution like the first one would be better in the sense that not every
OSX user must do anything. But for now, I am fine with installing via brew
and make an alias. However, I tried and even if the `which` answers
correctly:

% which readlink
readlink: aliased to greadlink

The stoneNewExtent still fails. Seems like if alias wouldn't be present at
that point. (I added them to my .zshrc and opened a new terminal)

Of course, manually changing stoneNewExtent to use greadlink rather than
readlink did make it work.

Thoughts?