[Glass] GsDevKit_home is available for Early Access

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Thu Oct 15 22:00:45 PDT 2015

The scripts are written and the tests are green[4], so it is time to
open GsDevKit_home[1] for Early Access.

If you are curious about what's new in GsDevKit_home, take a look at the
FAQ for the question "If I am already using gsDevKitHome, why should I
consider moving to GsDevKit_home?"[5].

If you're ready to take GsDevKit_home for a spin, you should start with
the "Installation Overview"[2], where you will be presented with 3
different installation options:
   1. Everything on a single workstation.
   2. Client on a local workstation, Server on a remote host.
   3. Everything on a remote server, accessed via X-forwarding.

I have added a FAQ section[3] where I've answered a handful of
questions. Even if you are not planning on trying GsDevKit_home out
right now, I encourage you to take a look at the FAQs and if you have a
question or two that aren't covered already, drop me a line with the
question and I will add it to the FAQs --- with an answer:)

I think that the scripts are in pretty good shape and over the next week
or so I will be focusing on tODE ... and if you wondering "When a new
version of tODE is published, how do I update my checkout and my
stones?", there is a FAQ for that[6]. Lisa is on vacation now but when
she comes back she will be tackling the documentation.

There are several different GitHub projects involved in GsDevKit_home.
but I prefer to have all of the issues you run into reported in the
GsDevKit_home issue list[7] ... At this point in time there are no
issues too small to report  ... if you prefer to send private email to
me then please do so ... first impressions are very important at this stage.

I expect there to be rough edges but if you hit a critical issue, please
make sure that you make it clear to me that it is critical, because I
will drop everything to address it --- and yes there is a FAQ for "When
a new version of GsDevKit_home is published, how do I update my
checkout?"[8].

Dale

[1]
https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home#open-source-development-kit-for-gemstones-64-bit-