[Glass] gsDevKit / tode first time setup

Jon Paynter via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Tue Oct 20 11:06:57 PDT 2015

Ok Re-testing the failed pharo download on my work PC.

I tried Mariano's suggestion, but the 'pharo-vm' folder did not exist.

So I removed $GS_HOME/shared/pharo, then ran git reset --hard
and re-ran the installer.  it downlaoded pharo-linux-stable.zip and
sources.zip, but failed with the same error:

+ /usr/bin/curl get.pharo.org/vm30
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time
Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left
Speed
100  5473  100  5473    0     0   8285      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--
32577
Downloading the latest pharoVM:
        http://files.pharo.org/get-files/30/pharo-linux-stable.zip
pharo-vm/pharo
Downloading PharoV30.sources:
        http://files.pharo.org/get-files/30/sources.zip
Creating starter scripts pharo and pharo-ui
On a 64-bit system? You must install the 32-bit libraries
   Try `sudo aptitude install ia32-libs` or see
http://pharo.org/gnu-linux-installation#64-bit-System-Setup for more info
+ bash
+ /usr/bin/curl get.pharo.org/30
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time
Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left
Speed
100  2771  100  2771    0     0   7926      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--
16494
Downloading the latest 30 Image:
    http://files.pharo.org/get-files/30/pharo.zip
Pharo.image
+ popd
++ basename /home/gemstone/GsDevKit_home/bin/private/downloadSmalltalkClient
+ echo '...finished downloadSmalltalkClient'
...finished downloadSmalltalkClient
create gsDevKitCommandLine.image image using
/home/gemstone/GsDevKit_home/sys/default/pharo/gsDevKitCommandLineLoad.st
/home/gemstone/GsDevKit_home/shared/pharo/pharo: line 11:
/home/gemstone/GsDevKit_home/shared/pharo/pharo-vm/pharo: No such file or
directory
======================================

but the "missing" file exists:
 ls -l /home/gemstone/GsDevKit_home/shared/pharo/pharo-vm/pharo
-rwxrwxr-x 1 gemstone gemstone 1121206 May 15 16:29
/home/gemstone/GsDevKit_home/shared/pharo/pharo-vm/pharo

Ideas? suggestions?

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 10:13 PM, Jon Paynter <kittle31 at gmail.com> wrote:

> ok I got the session properties updated on the client  - I changed
> "seaside_ldi" to "netldi"
>
> and now i can log in.
> I opened the project list, but when poking around in the menus to try and
> create a new project, something broke and now I get a dictionary error
> "attempt to store nil as a key"
> restarting the tode client doesnt seem to rollback whatever changes were
> made, so now the project list is broken.
>
> not sure how to get a stack dump or I would include one here.
>
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 9:05 PM, Dale Henrichs <
> dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com> wrote:
>
>> It looks like you have left seaside_ldi as your netldi and that does not
>> work unless you have editted your /etc/services file (I thought I'd
>> mentioned this in an earlier email and I think it's covered in the doc) ...
>> if you don't edit the /etc/services file, you need to put the port number
>> of seaside_ldi into your session description ("Client >Edit Description"
>> menu item ... also select and doit in the workspace to write the updated
>> session description) you get the port number from the netldi listing of the
>> stones command run on the server ...
>>
>> Dale
>>

>> On 10/19/15 7:52 PM, Jon Paynter wrote:
>>
>> well i guess I was impatient - the testLogin eventually DID return, but
>> with an error:
>> Error running testLogin:
>>
>> 'Error: Unable to create a GemStone session, check netldi log file.
>> service not found, on bigyan getaddrinfo(host ''ubuntu'', service
>> ''seaside_ldi'') failed
>> ;  service seaside_ldi not found  For further information about login
>> failures, check the gem log file'
>>
>> So I changed the 'ubuntu' strings in the sessions file to the IP of my
>> vm: 192.168.1.137, and I got the same error -- but a MUCH faster return.
>>
>> do I need to setup something with net ldi on my local PC?  or is the ssh
>> port forward not working?
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 7:40 PM, Jon Paynter <kittle31 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I will re-test when I return to work tomorrow -- it was probably the
>>> corporate firewall getting in the way.
>>>
>>> On my home PC, the install worked last nite.
>>>
>>> I ran the long ssh cmd:
>>> ssh 192.168.1.137 -l gemstone -L 55320:localhost:55320 -L
>>> 55325:localhost:55325
>>>
>>> Which prompted for a pw and then I got the usual  prompt
>>> I tried to run the startnetldi cmd from link you sent  (
>>> https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome/blob/master/docs/portForwardingForRemoteLogins.md
>>> )
>>>
>>> It complained when I had the -p (lowercase) option
>>> but this one seemed to work:
>>> $GEMSTONE/bin/startnetldi -a gemstone -g -P 55320 seaside_ldi
>>>
>>> startnetldi[Info]: GemStone version '3.2.8'
>>> startnetldi[Info]: Starting GemStone network server 'seaside_ldi'.
>>> startnetldi[Info]: GEMSTONE is:
>>> '/home/gemstone/GsDevKit_home/server/stones/seaside/product'.
>>> startnetldi[Info]: GEMSTONE_NRS_ALL is:
>>> '#dir:$GEMSTONE_LOGDIR#log:%N%P.log'.
>>> startnetldi[Info]: Log file is '/opt/gemstone/log/seaside_ldi.log'.