[Glass] Can I assume GemStone 3.2.9 scripts and gsDevKit_home will NOT hardcode /opt/gemstone/product?

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Oct 21 15:39:43 PDT 2015

On 10/21/2015 03:25 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 7:18 PM, Dale Henrichs via Glass
> <glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
> <mailto:glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com>> wrote:
>
>     GsDevKit_home bases everything it does off GS_HOME ... so you
>     _can_ have multiple independent GsDevKit_home installations on the
>     same machine and they will not interfere with each other ....
>
>     The product downloads are stashed in
>     $GS_HOME/shared/downloads/products/<product-name>
>
>     The stones are stashed in $GS_HOME/server/stones/<stone-name>.
>
>     There is a symbolic link in the stone directory:
>     $GS_HOME/server/stones/<stone-name>/product that points to the
>     relevant product in $GS_HOME/shared/downloads/products and
>     GEMSTONE is defined as:
>
>       export GEMSTONE=$GS_HOME/server/stones/<stone-name>/product
>

> That's perfect.
> And what about all $GEMSTONE/bin   , $GEMSTONE/upgrade   ,
>  $GEMSTONE/seaside/bin  etc
> as long as I do not source defSeaside (which I do not do it) it seems
> I am safe. Correct?
>
> If true, do you know if the same assumption could be taken for 3.1.0.6 ?

Well the normal operating mode is that GEMSTONE is not part of you
standard environment ... only GS_HOME should/needs to be defined when
you use GsDevKit_home ... the GEMSTONE env var is defined dynamically in
the scripts based on the stoneName (which is another reason why
startNetldi and stopNetldi take the stone name as an arg ... so
GsDevKit_home can know what $GEMSTONE/bin ... etc. to use) ...

In GsDevKit_home, there is a defStone.env that does what defSeaside used
to do and the only time that you need to use it is when you are going to
run topaz ... I probably should create a wrapper script for topaz so
that even then you don't need to get GEMSTONE into your env or worse
GEMSTONE/bin into your path:)

GsDevKit_home treats every GemStone version the same ... only GS_HOME
needs to be set ...