[Glass] Early Access: Installing Server and Client on a single node

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Fri Oct 23 11:43:44 PDT 2015

On 10/23/2015 10:16 AM, BrunoBB via Glass wrote:
> Dale,
>
> Ok, thanks.
>
> Now GemStone 3.2.9 is running in this new VM.
>
> But i can not run tode client:
> bruno at ubuntu:~$ /home/bruno/git/GsDevKit_home/dev/clients/tode1/startClient
>
> I get the following error:
>
> could not find display driver vm-display-X11; either:
>    - check that
> /home/bruno/git/GsDevKit_home/dev/clients/tode1/pharo-vm//vm-display-X11.so
> exists, or
>    - use the '-plugins <path>' option to tell me where it is, or
>    - remove DISPLAY from your environment.
> /home/bruno/git/GsDevKit_home/dev/clients/tode1/pharo-ui: line 11:  3787
> Aborted                 (core dumped) "$DIR"/"pharo-vm/pharo" "$@"
>
> It seems that there is a double "//vm-display-X11.so" in the composed
> string:
> /home/bruno/git/GsDevKit_home/dev/clients/tode1/pharo-vm//vm-display-X11.so
Have you installed the 32 bit X11 client libraries on your ubuntu
server? If you are going to run the tode client on the ubunutu server
then at a minimum you need the 32bit X11 client libraries ... take a
look at $GS_HOME/bin/utils/installOsPrereqs and the -X option for the
X11 libs needed ...

Where is your X server (desktop) located ...

You also have the option of installed a tODE client on your windows box
and then use netldi port forwarding ... the instructions should be in
the most recent docs for installing a client ... then you don't need any
clients running on the GemStone server box ...

> Also if try to connect with Jade client i get (from windows):
> "Unable to create a GemStone session, check netldi log file.
> Netldi 'devKit_329_ldi' on host 'ubuntu' reports the request '' failed:
> Requested version level 3020, this server is at level 3022."

This sounds like you are not running Jade for GemStone 3.2.9 ..

Also you probably need to set the netlLDIPort field in the session
descirption (so that startNetldi will always use that port) and you need
to use that port to connect using Jade or the tODE client ... unless you
are using /etc/services