[Glass] Mixing Unicode and String instances in Indexes [WAS] Re: Further commits have been disabled for this session because: 'CorruptObj error'. This session must logout.

Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Oct 28 10:48:30 PDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 2:32 PM, Dale Henrichs <
dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com> wrote:

> I guess the exact unicode error message would be a starting point ...

Hi Dale,

Ok, I opened a new thread, as you asked.
OK I will try to recover it (I must recover from backup so give me a few).

> This whole thread started because we had a bug that would throw a
> corruptObj message when invalid unicode was fed to a unicode primitive ...
> that bug was fixed in 3.2.2 or so ...
>
> So this corruptObj message is occuring for a different reason altogether
>
> In general you should not have to rebuild indexes across upgrade
> boundaries (unless we document that you have to) ....
>
> While it is good to know that a rebuild of indexes fixed you problem,. I
> am still interested in understanding what caused the error in the first
> place, since it may actually be another bug ...

Dale, a few things:

1) The original stack / code that triggered the real error was NEVER show
anywhere. From the "button" I clicked in my app, which caused the problem,
I can tell you 99% that the error ocurred when I performed a query using
the special syntax ( {   }  ) for accessing an index of a collection.
The fact of not seeing the REAL stack, WAS a problem.

2) From what I understand, I DID have to rebuild my indexes because in the
documentation it said that instances of Unicode7 cannot coexist together
with isntance of String in the same index. Let's say I have an index on a
instVar called 'tickerSymbol' of class XXX. I had a RcIdentitySet with
instances of XXX in which some instances have a String instance in
'tickerSymbol' and others had a Unicode7 as instance. (why?  no clue...).
In the documentation I read this was not possible anymore and if this were
the case I would need to create a Unicode-kind of index. And that's what I
did and what it worked.

I think the bug (if it IS a bug..and if it is reproducible) should be very
easy to reproduce with tODE and gsDevKit

1) create 3.1.0.6 stone called gs_3106
2) Create dummy ClassWithIndex with instVar 'instVarWithIndex'.
3) Create a equality index over instVar 'instVarWithIndex' with path
element class String (old API since we are in 3.1.0.6)
4) Store in #myUserGlobals a RcIdentityBag with 2 instances of
ClassWithIndex, one with a String in 'instVarWithIndex' and one with a
Unicode7 instance.
5) Use `upgradeStone` (forcing a target 3.2.9 stone called gs_329) to
upgrade from gs_3106 to gs_329
6) Make a #select: { } using 'instVarWithIndex' in the RcIdentityBag stored
in the userglobals.

I am leaving early today, but I can give it a try to see if I can reproduce
it.

Thoughts?