[Glass] gsDevKitHome considerations

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Tue Sep 29 09:42:21 PDT 2015

On 09/29/2015 04:23 AM, dario.trussardi at tiscali.it via Glass wrote:
> Ciao,
>
>     Now i see the new GsDevKit
> <https://github.com/GsDevKit>/*GsDevKit_home
> <https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home> * git repository
>
>     and if i right understand the project is ready for release in the
> next weeks.
Not quite ready for release - shooting for November for release --- I'm
probably a day or so away from having the scripts and minimal
documentation ready for early adopters ...

>     Questions:
>
>             a) What will do for update the deployment system ?
GsDevKit_home is an overhaul of the basic scripts ... the functionality
is pretty much the same, but I've reorganized/renamed the scripts and
reduced the number of script and hopefully made things clearer:

   createStone
   startStone
   stopStone
   deleteStone

   createClient
   startClient
   deleteClient

A client can be installed without the "server modules" and clients can
be gemtools, jade, or tode (only tODE is fully functional at the
moment). The client scripts will run on mac, linux, or windows (using a
bash shell from Github Desktop for windows)...

For both the server and client modules I am expecting that the core
GsDevKit repositories will be cloned to local disk (I have a script for
this) ... if you already have local clones for these repos (Metacello,
FileTree, GLASS1, Tode, RB, Ston) it should be straightforward to swap
them in ... of course the documentation for this has not been written
yet:) but I am attempting to structure things to make it straightforward ..

>              b) I need to update the repository or only the Tode program ?

today I plan to work on an `attachServer` script that will allow one to
use the the "client modules" and/or "server modules" with an existing
stone ... With GsDevKit_home I have made a few minor changes to the disk
structure relative the GsDevKitHome on the dev branch ... so I expect to
be able to automate the attachment process (thanks to Mariano for being
a pioneer in this area ... Most of the significant changes in tODE[1]
have been made on the client, but there are some changes that will
probably need to be in the server as well, so a tODE update is probably
required.

I will send mail on this list when I think things are ready for folks to
try it out on an experimental basis and kick the tires.

Dale

[1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/tode/compare/dev...dev_dev