[Glass] recompiling sortBlocks - after upgrade to 3.3.0 from 3.2.4

Paul Baumann via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Fri Feb 19 09:52:43 PST 2016

HI Paul,

Migrating the SortedCollection instances won't help because it is a
block instance that needs to be migrated. The migration to the new block
is to simply recompile it from source so that the old instances are no
longer referenced. Problem is, SortedCollection instances refer to
instances of blocks that wouldn't be de-referenced simply by recompiling
code. The fix is to gather the bad instances (likely only one canonical
instance) and replace the sort block with the sort block that is now
assigned to new instances.

     | badsByBlock newBlock |
     badsByBlock := IdentityDictionary new.
     SortedCollection allInstances do: [:dict :ea |
         [ ea indexOf: 1]
         on: Error
         do: [:ex |
             (badsByBlock at: ea sortBlock ifAbsentPut: [Array new])
                 add: ea.
         ].
     ].
     badsByBlock size > 1 ifTrue: [self error: 'sorry, this can't handle
the SC instances that have custom blocks'].
     newBlock := SortedCollection new sortBlock.
     badsByBlock do: [:bads |
         bads do: [:ea | ea sortBlock: newBlock ].
     ].
     ^badsByBlock

The code above is similar to what you might do. You might have to
compensate for missing accessors if #sortBlock or #sortBlock: don't
exist. The code will warn that it can't fix the problem if custom sort
blocks are discovered. If there are custom sort blocks then you can try
to assign the recompiled form of the block source code.

Regards,

Paul Baumann
On Career Break

On 02/19/2016 11:24 AM, Paul DeBruicker via Glass wrote:If #sortBlock is
not implemented then workaround with #instVarAt:. If #sortBlock: is not
implemented then workaround with #instVarAt:put:.