[Glass] Backup procedure

Otto Behrens via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Fri Jul 29 03:27:52 PDT 2016

>         And if i right understand i can switch from master to slave in real time ( some minutes? ).

When you need to activate your slave, you
1. stop the logreceiver
2. SystemRepository commitRestore

This is really quick (a few seconds)

3. Switch over your web server to talk to the slave. Here you may have
to think a bit how you want to do it. If your web server is on master,
you may have to do a DNS change (if the master machine is dead). If it
is alive, you can route traffic to the slave using the firewall or
some other way.

>         But it required some hardware and .... configuration.....
>
>         I think to use it to very 24x7 maximum guarantee system and continuity of service.

Yes, I think it is a decent solution. There is no absolute guarantee
though. You have to be sure that the logsender / receiver have caught
up all the log entries and you may have switched over on a point where
you lost a last transaction.

>         Restore the system to the last tranlog backup is not sufficient.
>
>         As the customer can realign the system if the last backup tranlog is 30 minutes old?

I don't really get what you're saying here.
If you have the tranlogs on master, then you can replay until the last
transaction, when your system comes back up.
If your tranlogs are lost on master but you restart with the existing
extent(s), you may have lost transactions.
If you have a hot standby in place, you are as up to date as you can
be if you lose tranlogs on master.

If not losing tranlogs on master is really critical, I'll consider
RAID and what other "safe" disk options you can get to store your
tranlogs on. Gemstone also has a replicate tranlog directory which you
can mount on a remote machine or something else.

>         Where i found the last 30 minutes transaction if the server is dead?

On the hot standby

>         I think having an intermediate solution could resolve many situations.
>
>         Having the ability to have a online copy of the active tranlog on the backup system it's a very good solution.
>
>         Is possible use the logsender / logreceiver only to replicate the current logs on the backup system ?

If I did run a hot standby, I do not worry about replicating tranlogs
because this is what the logsender / receiver does