[Glass] Backup procedure

Trussardi Dario Romano via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Fri Jul 29 08:48:20 PDT 2016

I'm not clear, excuse !

> Ciao,
>
> 	very thanks....
>
>>>      And if i right understand i can switch from master to slave in real time ( some minutes? ).
>>
>> When you need to activate your slave, you
>> 1. stop the logreceiver
>> 2. SystemRepository commitRestore
>>
>> This is really quick (a few seconds)
>>
>> 3. Switch over your web server to talk to the slave. Here you may have
>> to think a bit how you want to do it. If your web server is on master,
>> you may have to do a DNS change (if the master machine is dead). If it
>> is alive, you can route traffic to the slave using the firewall or
>> some other way.
>
> 	Very well.
>

>>>      But it required some hardware and .... configuration.....
>>>
>>>      I think to use it to very 24x7 maximum guarantee system and continuity of service.
>>
>> Yes, I think it is a decent solution. There is no absolute guarantee
>> though. You have to be sure that the logsender / receiver have caught
>> up all the log entries and you may have switched over on a point where
>> you lost a last transaction.
>>
>>>      Restore the system to the last tranlog backup is not sufficient.
>>>
>>>      As the customer can realign the system if the last backup tranlog is 30 minutes old?
>>
>> I don't really get what you're saying here.
>
> 	Ok, excuse.
>
> 	I'm thinking about system without any standby system.

	 I have only the server where the cron execute a script for create a new tranlogs every delta time ( 30 minutes? )

> 	But a system where i create a new tranlogs every 30 minutes and i save the old tranlogs on the backup system every 30 minutes.

	Where for backup system i think at one PC or disk in the LAN with only the copy of the files:

		1) the last repository  backup
		2)  old tranlogs ( create every delta minutes )
		3)  the " online copy" of the current tranlogs

	If the server go down i can setup a new machine and restore the repository from the data save on this backup system.

	Fail to follow my reasoning?

	With this configurations i can ensure restoration of data without losing any transaction.

	It's correct ?

> 	In this case on the backup system i have the last repository backup ( do every night ) and the relative old tranlogs  ( create in sequence every 30 minutes )
>
> 		but i don't have any "copy" of the current tranlogs.
>
> 	In this case if the master system go down i lose the last online tranlogs ( with the transactions relative to the current 30 minutes )
>
>> If you have the tranlogs on master, then you can replay until the last
>> transaction, when your system comes back up.
>> If your tranlogs are lost on master but you restart with the existing
>> extent(s), you may have lost transactions.
>> If you have a hot standby in place, you are as up to date as you can
>> be if you lose tranlogs on master.
>>
>> If not losing tranlogs on master is really critical, I'll consider
>> RAID and what other "safe" disk options you can get to store your
>> tranlogs on. Gemstone also has a replicate tranlog directory which you
>> can mount on a remote machine or something else.
>
> 	I don't know this options.
>
> 	It's a possible solutions ! ?
>
> 	The Gemstone replicate the online tranlogs in this directory on 'external' system ?
>
> 	If yes, i have a "copy" of the online tranlogs and i can restore from backup system to the last transaction.
>
> 	I don't find reference to this options  in the System Administration Guide 3.1.

	This options i very interesting if works as i think.

	Reference about it?

	Thanks,

		Dario