[Glass] Client Installation

Richard Sargent via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Fri Jun 10 13:08:49 PDT 2016

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 11:18 AM, BrunoBB via Glass <

> Hi,
>
> Trying to install:
>
> https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/blob/master/docs/installation/installDevKitClient.md
>
> If my client is Windows the following Script should be executed in Windows
> (git shell) ??
> git clone https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home.git
> cd GsDevKit_home
> export GS_HOME=`pwd`
> export PATH=$GS_HOME/bin:$PATH
> installClient 2>&1 | tee $GS_HOME/install.log
> downloadGemStone 3.3.0 2>&1 | tee -a $GS_HOME/install.log
> createClient tode1 2>&1 | tee -a $GS_HOME/install.log
>
> If it so --> "export" command is not recognised by Git shell.

Hi Bruno,

Make certain you have the bash shell configured rather than Microsfot's
Powershell.

> In Windows should  i set variables in the Environment Variables window
> (GS_HOME & PATH) ?

If you always want them set and always to the same value. Otherwise, do
what I do and define convenience aliases in your .bashrc.

alias gdk='export GS_HOME=/c/GsDevKit_home; export PATH=$GS_HOME/bin:$PATH;
cd $GS_HOME'
alias gdh='cd $GS_HOME'

> Why there is a line like: downloadGemStone 3.3.0 2>&1 | tee -a
> $GS_HOME/install.log ?
>
> Why the client installation download (GS 3.3) ?

The client needs the Windows DLLs for the GCI library. This command
downloads the Windows subset of the GemStone product. (gslist, topaz, the
DLLs, etc.)