[Glass] Explanation to "too many failed pom_gen scavenges" in this context??

Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Mon Mar 7 08:35:27 PST 2016

Hi guys,

I am running some code that processes a huge csv file and inserts
persistent data to gemstone. This is a GemStone 3.2.9 with 1GB of SPC,
GEM_TEMPOBJ_CACHE_SIZE of 700MB and GEM_TEMPOBJ_POMGEN_PRUNE_ON_VOTE  at
100.

What is funny is that my code runs inside commitOnAlmost...

I have this method:

FAGemStoneCompatibility >> commitOnAlmostOutOfMemoryDuring: aBlock
threshold: aThreshold
  [
  MCPlatformSupport installAlmostOutOfMemoryStaticHandler: aThreshold.
  aBlock value ]
    ensure: [ MCPlatformSupport uninstallAlmostOutOfMemoryStaticHandler ]

And this is how I use it:

               System commitTransaction.
FACompatibilityUtils current
commitOnAlmostOutOfMemoryDuring: [
    *WhateverClass whateverThingThatNeedsMemory.*
                        ]
                        threshold: 10.
System commitTransaction.

And even with a threshold of 10...  I am getting a

*VM temporary object memory is full *
*, too many failed pom_gen scavenges*

Any idea what could be going on?

Thanks in advance,