[Glass] Error from Topaz fullBackupTo:

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Mar 9 16:00:57 PST 2016

On 03/09/2016 01:16 PM, Trussardi Dario Romano via Glass wrote:

> Dale,
>
>> Dario,
>>
>> This error mentions that the system is waiting for voting to complete
>> ... presumably you ran an mfc shortly before starting the backup and
>> one or more of the gems in the system hadn't had a chance to vote ...
>> if you have some seaside gems sitting around the voting logic will
>> cause those gems to get sent a SIGABORT and they will vote ... the
>> seaside gems typically wake up every 30 seconds while to "check for a
>> SIGABORT" so if you see this happen wait a minute and try again ...
>
> I wait and resubmit the fullBackup but the system answer the same error.
>
> The last fullBackup is date to yesterday......  i can't lose the today
> transactions.
>
> I can do the command:gemstone_stop
>
> and after restart with: gemstone_start
>
> or is too risky and it is better to make a fullBackup before ?

Regarding risk of losing data on system restart ... you should already
be keeping copies of your backup files and tranlogs on a separate
system, so that if you lose a disk, you have fairly recent copies of
both ... if you are concerned about losing as little data as possible,
you might think about copy tranlogs to a separate machine several times
a day ...

Anyway, you don't need to do a full backup right before cycling a server
(it doesn't hurt to do so), but you might want to make sure that you've
copied the tranlogs to your backup machine before cycling a server on
the off chance that a disk fails on startup ... then you will be able to
minimize the data that's lost if the system does crash ...

If you are going to cycle a server, you might shut down the network or
just shutdown the  stone useing daemontools, then copy tranlogs, then
cycle the machine ... that way you won't lose any tranlog data in the
case of trouble restarting ...