[Glass] Seaside Smalltalk-CI build for Gemstone runs out of temp object space

Paul DeBruicker via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Tue Mar 29 20:03:56 PDT 2016

Hey Dale,

The reasons I explicitly set it to what I want rather than taking one or the
other from the OS are:

1. I don't want an understanding of where they might be different or used
differently inside GemStone.  Having them the same seems simpler to me.

2.  I sometimes make stones on my laptop which is generally in
'America/Los_Angeles' and then upload those stones to servers that are
generally in UTC and I don't want to have to remember to convert them post
upload.  So I set it and forget it after installing/upgrading Glass & Tode
and things.

So to answer your questions:

GLASS mailing list wrote
> Hey Paul,
>
> Your script is a bit different than what I was using by default for
> builderCI which is `TimeZone fromLinux` which itself calls `TimeZone
> fromGemPath: '/etc/localtime'` which is a different path than
> /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC which you are using ... I think that the rest of
> the code is the same ...
>
> And picking up the TimeZone from the os is different than setting the
> TimeZone to a specific named TimeZone ... are both forms needed or is
> sufficient to pick up the TimeZone from the OS? ...

I most always override the OS setting on servers so it wouldn't necessarily
be a problem to get it from the OS there, but my laptop is always not UTC.

> For Travis tests, the TimeZone of the machine may be something totally
> unexpected, if your tests are TimeZone sensitive .... but the default
> behavior could be to set the TZ from the OS and from the name if not
> specified ...
>

> Dale

If you leave it such that it may pull one from the OS that's fine but I'll
just stick to overriding it as part of the build process with my script.
Its something I'm habituated to at this point.

Aside: What is the value of having two time zones in the stone?

Thanks

Paul