[Glass] GsQuery and message sends ...

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Tue May 24 11:15:12 PDT 2016

Marten,

We do have selector-based path terms that can be used in a query:

   'each.#foo < 1'

where #foo indicates that a message should be sent instead of directly
accessing an instance variable. The drawback of a selector-based path
term is that GemStone cannot do automatic index maintenance.

With that said it is possible to use the GemStone modification tracking
api to manage the btrees for selector-based path terms. In GemStone 3.3,
we included example code for using modification tracking and
selector-based path terms
($GEMSTONE/examples/smalltalk/SelectorPathTermExample.gs). The example
is in GemStone 3.3 because there are some bugs in the modification
tracking code for 3.2 that are needed to make modification tracking work ...

If you are not using the query against an index, you should be able to
use selector-based path terms in 3.2.

Dale