[Glass] Why #identityHash does not rely on OOP?

Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Oct 26 07:51:33 PDT 2016

I am sure the answer is dumb, but I still wonder. At a first glance I
thought it could be because you may reuse OOPs. But...if you re-use a OOP
is because that object is not anywhere in the system (and hence, there is
no need of re-hash any collection).

Another thought I had is none-persisting object and the costs of getting
available OOPs vs a simply #identityHash implementation.

BTW how long is the #identityHash? In Pharo (before Spur) we had 12 bits
(or similar) in the object header so that yield 4k different values. That's
not fun when you have large identity-based hashed collection because of
collisions.  Anyway, how big is the identity hash in Gemstone? Or how
"unique" it is?

Anyway, I was simply curious about this topic and would like you know your
thoughts.

Best,