[Glass] [3.3.1]: Waiting for a connection is blocked ... no timeout at all is considered

Paul Baumann via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Oct 26 08:42:47 PDT 2016

The fix you made would reduce the accumulation of transactions that gs
needs to resolve views and potential conflicts through. The accumulation
would have been high when some gems are very active with commits while
others are mostly waiting (and holding an old view). It was the mostly-idle
gems causing accumulation.

You may notice:
- Quicker continueTransaction
- shorter login time
- far fewer gems receive SigAbort
- cr backlogs resolve quicker
- fewer transactions since last checkpoint
- extents updated more frequently
- backups are more reliable
- restores require fewer tranlog files

I'm big on performance tuning, here is another hint. Gs is also aided by
having many gems starting with the same view point rather than each having
separate views. Change your timeout time so that it expires at a time
interval that the others would also target. Rather than a fixed 15 second
timeout, compute a timeout from current system time that other gems might
also compute to timeout on. A 15 second target interval might be a bit
aggressive depending on your commit rates. Perhaps target expiry at a 30
second interval to further improve odds that gems will timeout-abort at the
same moment.

Paul Baumann

On Oct 26, 2016 7:36 AM, "Marten Feldtmann via Glass" <