[Glass] Out of memory crashed writing CSV to gemstone directory?

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Mon Feb 13 11:50:10 PST 2017

> On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 2:28 PM, Dale Henrichs via Glass
> <glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
> <mailto:glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com>> wrote:
>
>     Mariano,
>
>     Topaz writes its files to the current directory ... where topaz is
>     started, so if you want the csv files to go into the `logs`
>     directory, then you have to `cd` there before starting topaz.
>

> Mmmmm... "Topaz writes its files to the current directory"   But...is
> this Out of Memory file considered a "topaz file" ??
> I don't know where the instances table is dump into the CSV, but my
> question is why such a code does not honor GEMSTONE_LOG_DIR?
If you run topaz with an RPC login (-r), then the CSV file _should_ be
put into the GEMSTONE_LOG_DIR along with the gem log ... with a linked
login, stdout is the "gem log" and PWD is where the CSV file is put.
> OK, I get this .csv is not 100% a log file, but to me it's not either
> a plain topaz file. And in fact, I would like to have this .csv
> together with the gem log (right now the gem log is  in
> $GEMSTONE_LOG_DIR while the .csv is in the stone directory).
When topaz is run with a linked login, you get special behavior ... some
good and some bad.

>     I think we've talked about automatically `cd`ing somewhere for
>     topaz and perhaps we should create a command line option for the
>     `startTopaz` script that allows one to specify an explicit
>     location and by default we just `cd` to the `logs` directory.
>
>     What do you think?
>
> Regardless what I comment above for THIS particular case, yes,  being
> able to specify $PWD / workingDirectory to `startTopaz` would be nice.

Internally, GLASS/GsDevKit uses $PWD as the default location for
FileDirectory, so both netldi and topaz -l  are going to be sensitive to
where they are started for some things ... having a consistent starting
point is going to be useful so that gems and topaz (linked) have
consistent behavior ...