[Glass] Large collection and common practice

Smalltalk via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Jan 4 06:23:22 PST 2017

Dale,

Is there any measure of from what size a Dictionary could have this
problem ? Maybe it also depends in the length of the key...

(if the problem arise from 1.000.000 entries in a dictionary --> is not
a problem for me right now)

The keys of my Dictionary is an UUID like:
93b1205cec32b42993b9382a9b0d89046fd937c8

At this stage i think i will use 2 Rc collections (one dictionary + one
bag) in the future maybe this approach has to be changed...

For now i will keep it simple !

regards

bruno

El 03/01/2017 a las 17:46, Dale Henrichs escribió:

> As the size of the collections gets very large, you have to keep in
> mind that Dictionary-based structures have to be rebuilt periodically
> to keep the collision bucket size manageable and some of the
> dictionaries like RcKeyValueDictionary will rebuild automatically on
> insertion and depending upon the size of the dictionary that could
> lead to long and unpredictable delays for end users ... the btree
> structures used in GemStone indexes do splits and merges on individual
> leaf nodes limiting the cost of insertions ...

---