[Glass] GemStone on ubuntu server

Paul DeBruicker via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Mon Jan 9 14:13:04 PST 2017

Hi Sebastian.

I have some ansible (https://www.ansible.com) scripts that should do what
you want as far as taking a blank Ubuntu server and getting GemStone running
under daemontools and behind nginx.   You can load a project from a Baseline
into the stone or copy up a stone from your dev environment. I've been
waiting to publish them because I haven't made time to get the hot standby
working yet.  Let me double check I don't have any sensitive info in the
repo and I'll publish them sometime in the next couple days.

I write stuff mostly in Pharo and only use MockGemstone in the Pharo images.
It just provides stub classes for GemStone functionality so you don't need
it in the GemStone stone.    Be sure to run all your file system and socket
access through it in Pharo.

As for updating your stone after a git commit you ought to be able to
specify a post-commit hook on your laptop and post-receive hook on the
server to get the stone to update to new code without involving a CI unless
you want to.  This is a good guide http://toroid.org/git-website-howto for
getting a git repo populated with updates after a git commit.   In that
post-receive hook they desrcibe you could have curl hit a URL the stone is
watching to trigger the Metacello or Gofer load of your new code. The
post-commit hook on your laptop pushes the code to the server.  The
post-receive hook populates the git repo on the server that the stone uses
to look for code and then the curl GET triggers the load.  One problem I
haven't yet figured out is how to roll back to an earlier SHA  when I commit
bugs.  I just do it manually, but would be happy to learn another way.

Hope this helps

Paul

GLASS mailing list wrote